Sunday, December 2, 2007

Taco Pizza

I made this last night and it turned out soooo yummy! A local pizza restaurant in town makes a taco pizza that we just love. So, I thought I'd try to save us some money and make it at home. :)

Taco Pizza
1/2 can enchilada sauce
1/2 can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
Salt, chili powder, and sugar to taste (I just played around with these until I got it right)
1 lb. ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
3/4 c. water
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce
Doritos chips
Any other toppings you would enjoy!

Make your favorite recipe for pizza dough, or use the premade pizza crusts. My recipe for dough is below. :) Brown ground beef until cooked through, add taco seasoning packet and water. Simmer for 10 minutes. Roll out dough into desired size. Mix together enchilada sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and seasonings. Spread as much as you want over the pizza dough. Put ground beef on top of sauce. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of ground beef. Bake according to dough recipe instructions or premade crust instructions. When done, top with lettuce, crushed Doritos chips and a little more cheese. Sour cream, salsa, tomato, or other taco toppings would be yummy too! Enjoy!

Pizza Dough
1 packet active yeast
3 cups flour
2 Tbsp. vegetable or olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 c. warm water

"Proof" yeast in 1/4 c. warm water and 1 tsp. sugar. Let it sit for a few minutes until it bubbles. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl. Add oil, 3/4 c. warm water and yeast mixture to dry ingredients. Mix together with your hands and knead until combined. Let rise for 30 minutes. Roll out to desired size. Could easily make two medium size pizzas or one very large pizza. I used it to make one pizza and it was a little too much dough/crust. Next time, I will make it larger or make two pizzas. Also, I used olive oil instead of vegetable oil and you could definitely taste it in the dough. Next time, I think I will use vegetable oil. :)

I hope you enjoy it!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We had a pizza like this in Oregon, but they started with a base of refried beans and then your sauce....YUMMMMMY!! I think I will make this now, for breakfast!! Do you think it goes with Starbucks?
Love, Faith